How did I get here?

Hi anyone,

I never thought I’d be writing a blog, let alone a cancer blog, but here we are. How did I get here?  Its been a pretty rough year, started back in September 2017.

My mother entered Palliative care for end stage COPD, and she chose MAID (medical assistance in dying). She picked her end time, and on Oct. 30 she passed away peacefully surrounded by her children. It took a few months to try and find some normalcy, but slowly things went back to the new normal. In February, I decided it was time to quit smoking, after 42 years, so I trudged off to a hypnotist, and what do you know?, it worked. I have not had a cigarette since February 22. My smokers cough disappeared almost immediately. A trip was planned for Italy, and I wanted to be in good shape to walk Rome, and get the most out of it. We did three weeks in Italy, and it was glorious, but I tired easily, and couldn’t walk as much as I did 5 years ago when I was there, and still a smoker. I just figured, I’m five years older, no big deal.

To be honest, I feel that I wrote off a lot of things because I had quit smoking. But then, in late July, early August, there were things that didn’t make sense. I was coughing again. I felt pressure in my throat, like something was caught. My voice would get raspy, and my throat sore, after half a day at work (I’m on the phone a lot at work). One morning, I stood in front of the mirror and pressed on my throat, and the other side bulged out. “that’s not good” I thought. So I went to the walk in clinic. Luckily my Doctor was on that day. He sent me for blood work and an ultrasound. Ultrasound showed nodules, too large to ignore, so, on my birthday, my doctor told me it didn’t look good, and I was to get a biopsy. The biopsy was done in September, and I met with my surgeon with surgery set for October 15. 

Now, all through the process, I kept hearing “thyroid cancer is the good one, if you have to get cancer”. This did not help me at all. When you hear cancer, it is never good, and it freaks you out! I understand that is how people cope when they don’t know what to say, but for the person who has just been diagnosed, all it does is try to minimize their fear and feelings.

The surgery, a total thyroidectomy, went well. I went home the next day, with the @##$& drain, and settled in to recover. The drain stayed in a week, instead of the customary 2 days. I’m still not sure why. It was such a relief to get rid of it. Unfortunately, a week later, I developed a post op infection, a seroma. Disgusting pus filled sac at the drain site. It set my recover back more than a week.

Eventually I returned to work, on reduced hours. I still tire very quickly. A follow up ultrasound was scheduled just before Christmas, and I am now awaiting the results. As I don’t have a scheduled appointment with my endocrinologist until February, I’m hopeful that no news is good news.


Stay tuned!




April threw a punch at your cancer.
Sign in or sign up to post a comment.
Your thyroid controls until you get on Synthroid/Levothyroxine and find your right level you can expect to feel slow.
It takes weeks for your blood level to stabilize.
Lots of blogs here to read for thyroid cancer.

Nancy likes this comment
Hate to have to say this but welcome! It sounds like you are getting great medical care. Make sure you are taking care of yourself too and if you need time off work to recover then take it.
Nancy likes this comment
Sign in or sign up to post a comment.

Vital Info


December 27, 2018

Toronto, Canada M4A 2

August 28, 1962

Cancer Info

Thyroid Cancer

Papillary thyroid cancer

August 28, 2018


Lumps in neck, fatigue, cough, sore throat, loss of voice


Posts: 3
Photos: 1
Events: 0
Supporters: 5
Friends: 6
-Made: 0
-Received: 8
-Posts: 742
-Photos: 231

New Here?

We are a community of cancer survivors supporting each other. Sign up to comment or create your own cancer blog. Already a member? Sign in